In recent years, the focus on sustainability has moved from being a buzzword to an actionable commitment, particularly in the event industry. As events bring together large groups of people, they also have an inherent responsibility to reduce their ecological footprint. From the choice of venue to waste management, every aspect counts. At the Northwest Event Show (NWES), we recognize this responsibility and have embedded sustainability into the heart of our operations.
Why is Sustainability Vital for Events?
Event sustainability isn’t just about reducing waste or conserving energy, though these are fundamental. It’s about shaping an industry to be more responsible, one event at a time. As organizers, the decisions we make can influence our attendees, exhibitors, sponsors, and the community at large.
The United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) provide a blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet. By aligning event practices with these SDGs, we can contribute to broader global ambitions, making a positive impact far beyond the event’s duration.
Our Commitment at NWES
At the Northwest Event Show, sustainability is embedded in our mission. As we continuously seek innovative approaches to promote sustainability and make eco-friendly choices, we’re proud to share that our leadership has strengthened this commitment. The recent attainment of the Sustainable Event Professional Certification by our team is a testament to our dedication. This isn’t just about a title; it’s a promise that sustainable practices will be woven throughout every facet of our event’s lifecycle.
Our venue, the Summit Building at the Seattle Convention Center, isn’t just a space; it’s a testament to sustainable architecture and practices. Features like resourceful construction, energy-efficient solar panels, and innovative water management systems showcase the venue’s commitment to green initiatives.
In addition to our venue’s efforts, NWES is proactively taking steps to further our sustainability initiatives:
- Digital Over Print: We are consciously reducing our print material and promoting the use of digital displays and electronic communication. This will include interactive digital signage throughout the event floor, as well as digital agendas, an engaging event platform and more.
- Waste Management: Emphasizing the importance of recycling and waste reduction to ensure minimum negative environmental impact. We will be working with the venue this year to discover our options to recycle and reuse.
- NWES Sustainability Pledge: We have initiated a sustainability pledge for our exhibitors, urging them to join hands with us in our green initiatives.
Your Role as an Attendee
We recognize that our attendees play a pivotal role in making any event sustainable. As an attendee, you have the power to influence the event’s sustainability. We encourage you to:
- Engage with Exhibitors: Connect with exhibitors who’ve signed our sustainability pledge, learn from them, and see how you can incorporate similar practices in your events.
- Go Digital: Opt for digital business cards, use the event app to review the agenda and floor plan, and reduce your paper footprint.
- Opt for Eco-Friendly Transit: Consider using public transportation or carpooling with fellow attendees. Not only will this reduce the carbon footprint, but it also offers networking opportunities and eases parking congestion at the venue.
- Participate Actively: Attend sessions on sustainability, share your insights, and join the conversation online with #NWES2024.
Your Role as an Exhibitor
We believe collaboration is the key to a sustainable future. Our sustainability pledge for exhibitors is not just a document—it’s a commitment to shared values and practices. By signing and participating, you’re not just agreeing to a set of guidelines; you’re becoming a part of a movement to redefine the event industry.
Event sustainability is not a destination but a journey. As we look forward to NWES 2024, we are excited about the partnerships, innovations, and initiatives that will shape this journey. We invite you to join us, champion sustainability, and together, let’s set a benchmark for the future of events.
Join the conversation on event sustainability and more by following our social feeds #NWES2024.